Last visit was: It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Biggest Loser Contestant Speaks Out
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:33 pm 
power lies within

Jezebel.com wrote:
The Biggest Loser is so bad for its contestants, the millions who watch the show, and the culture in general. A former contestant can attest to this better than anyone.

Season 3 Biggest Loser finalist Kai Hibbard and I spoke on the phone about her experiences on The Biggest Loser. From seeing her fellow contestants forced to workout with injuries against doctor's orders, to the extreme dehydration prior to weigh-ins, to the resultant eating disorder that Kai still is working to heal, the story she told was nothing like the fantasy that the Biggest Loser seeks to promote.

Kai on The Biggest Loser's diet and exercise program:

"Unfortunately, what they're telling you the contestants are doing and what they actually have the contestants doing are two different things, at least as far as my season goes. We were working out anywhere between 2 and 5 hours a day, and we were working out severely injured. There's absolutely no reason to work a 270 pound girl out so hard that she pukes the first time you bring in a gym. That was entirely for good tv.

"There was a registered dietician that was supposed to be helping [the contestants at the ranch] as well... But every time she tried to give us advice . . . the crew or production would step in and tell us that we were not to listen to anybody except our trainers. And my trainer's a nice person, but I have no idea what she had for a nutritional background at all."

On how the trainers and producers overrode the show's doctors:

"The doctor had taken our blood and tested us and sent us a solution, I don't know exactly what it was but it was salty, so I'm assuming that our electrolytes were off. And when the trainers found out we were taking it, they told us under no certain terms were we to be taking that, because it would make us retain water and gain weight on the scale and we'd have to go home. The doctors had ordered us to take it and the trainers were like, ‘throw it out, right now.' There was this interference between the people who were actually probably trying to get us healthy from the people who wanted a good television show."

On the show's low-calorie diet and her subsequent eating disorder:

"I think when I was on the actual ranch we were eating between 1,000 and 1,200 calories a day, I'm not certain. The thing is, it got worse when I got home... I would get e-mails constantly from the producers: ‘what have you done today?' ‘are you working out enough?' It was just always, always, always. At that point, [I had] all the pressure on me, and [I was] trying to do right by what I had been told is the best thing to ever happen to me. And they would tell you all the time, ‘200,000 other fat girls were in line right behind you. How dare you waste this experience? How dare you let anybody down?'

"So I got to a point where I was only eating about 1,000 calories a day and I was working out between 5 and 8 hours a day. . . . And my hair started to fall out. I was covered in bruises. I had dark circles under my eyes. Not to get too completely graphic, but my period stopped altogether and I was only sleeping 3 hours a night. I tried to tell the T.V. show about it and I was told, 'save it for the camera.'

"At that point, my boyfriend at the time, who's now my husband, and my best friend and my family stepped in and they said, ‘Hey, crazy, you're going to die if you keep this up.' At that point was doing really fun things like not eating at all. . . my major food groups were water, black coffee and splenda. I got to the point that when I was nervous or upset I was literally vomiting my food up. And at one point the scale stalled, I was stuck at 163, and my trainer and the producers all ordered me to take a free day. . . . They said, ‘oh, you're body needs to be shaken up.' And I was so afraid of food at that point I went in [to the store], I bought a bag of snicker doodle cookies, and a quart of milk, and a box of ex lax and I ate them all together. And I knew that I was in trouble. And it was at this point that I was like, ‘Hey, where are those doctors and that psychologist that are supposed to be following up and keeping an eye on me that I kept hearing about?'"

On how she started to recover:

"Thank God my family intervened. They got me semi-back-on-track all the way to the finale. My very first meal where I actually ate again, my husband sat with me and it was a bowl of oatmeal and an egg-white omelet with salsa, and it took me an hour and a half and I cried through the whole thing."

On how the show affected her body image:

"It gave me a really fun eating disorder that I battle every day, and it also messed up my mental body image because the lighter I got during that T.V. show, the more I hated my body. And I tell you what, at 144 and at 262 and at 280, I had never hated my body before that show.

"I do still struggle [with an eating disorder]. I do. My husband says I'm still afraid of food. . . . I'm still pretty messed up from the show. It doesn't help that when I go in public . . . the first thing they usually ask me is ‘what do you weigh now?'"

On why she's speaking out:

"I feel that I have a responsibility to counteract some of the harm that that show does. Because I took a piece of being that problem, I now own a piece of being the solution. . . . When I have people come to me crying, telling me how hard they work and how they log their food and how they've done everything they could and [they ask] ‘Why can't I lose 12 pounds in a week like you?' I feel a responsibility to get out there and go, ‘You know what? Sue me if you want to, NBC, but I'm telling these people, I didn't lose 12 pounds in a week. It didn't happen. It wasn't a week. And even when it looks like I lost 12 pounds in a week . . . I was so severely dehydrated that I was completely unhealthy."

On the mass of contracts and waivers that she signed to be on The Biggest Loser:

"I think at the time when you sign it . . . and it says things like, ‘you give yourself over to whatever doctor we have treat you and we don't attest to the credentials of the doctor', you think, ‘no one is going to treat another human being this poorly, why should I even worry about that?' You don't realize that there are people out there who would treat you that poorly. You also get reminded . . . over and over again that . . . this is a chance of a lifetime and there are 200,000 other fat people behind you and if you don't sign it they will. . . . I believe I signed away my life story and gave them the right to fictionalize it if they wanted to. I had an attorney look at it afterward and he was like, ‘you signed away things that really can't be signed away here, and the problem is they've got, like, 100 attorneys and you can't even afford me.' I'm terrified sometimes at the idea that I'm putting my family at risk to talk about it, but . . . my family's taught me that you can't go wrong with the truth. I'm just going to do what I've got to do."
This post originally ran on Body Love Wellness. Golda Poretsky, H.H.C. is a certified holistic health counselor who specializes in transforming your relationship with food and your body. Republished with permission.

Want to see your post here? Email us!

The author of this post can be contacted at tips@jezebel.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:40 pm 
orange scribe

someone on my facebook linked this yesterday and I have the same response now.

I think she (and a lot of the contestants) have eating disorders in the form of binge or compulsive over eating. Since the show does not truly focus on the psychological reasons they may have gained the weight those that do have e.d.'s are bound to gain it back (keep the disorder) or do what my therapist calls playing whack-a-mole and switch one negative behavior for another, in this case switching from compulsive overeating to anorexia.

she morphed from one to another.

the show may be intense, but the contestants know that going in.

my main issue with the show is not that, rather that they don't delve into the emotional reasons why the weight was put on in the first place. yes eating unhealthy and not knowing portion control aided... but for those that have ed's (and I am sure a lot do) they need to delve deeper.

and at the end of the day (when it comes to the exercise) - they can say no. people have refused to quit going in past seasons? they got booted... but it IS an option. end of the day it's YOUR decision.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:51 pm 
power lies within

Well. I am not a fan of Biggest Loser or of the trainers. Mainly because they have made such statements as, "You haven't finished working out until you puke." I also think that their low cal diet and massive amounts of exercise are definitely unhealthy. I think that people have a misconception of what is healthy when they agree to go on the show. They just see the results, not the life of the contestants afterwards.

I have also seen similar shows lead to over-exercisers.

I do think you can become addicted to exercise and I don't think it is always as easy as "not exercising" when you have it in your head as a "cure" for obesity.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:47 am 
orange goddess

Oh wow! This chick is so brave to speak out like that and I'm glad that she did. I always knew that there was something fishy going on at that ranch because they were always consistently losing big numbers. UUUUBER unhealthy.

http://haveasliceofkatypie.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:16 am 
exploring my potential!

All my lecturers HATE the biggest loser!! They always use it as an example! It's just so freaking unhealthy the way they do it!! No one no matter how much weight they have to lose should be losing at that rapid pace.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:55 pm 
orange goddess

I wish my mom could read this this is horrible what anyone would go through.. I feel sorry for this lady. It's horrible. I think this show is just wrong.. Ive never been a fan of the show.. I do not wish to be..

It sux they do this crap to the people on the show they should be exposed.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:48 pm 
healthy is sexy

I have always hated that show too and especially the unhealthy habits those contestants have to develop to lose so much weight per week. I completely agree, it's trading in one ED for another.

It really got to me when I was trying to conceive & pregnant on the forum I frequented, there was a group there who always posted about this show and how much weight the contestants lost and what in earth are they doing wrong to only lose 1 lb. in a week?!

And yes, I agree, shows like those can trigger exercise addiction. That's what got me into trouble in the first place, exercising hours & hours a day to lose weight but still eating a normal amt. of calories and then gradually, I restricted those too. But my ED began as an exercise compulsion, especially to running.

I hate shows promoting unhealthy weight loss like that one does!

I'm glad she spoke out.

I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:33 am 
orange like clockwork

It's so good to read someone being so honest about the whole thing. I was SO shocked to watch that program when it first came on that they were encouraging participants who were losing 10kg a week. 10! That's just ridiculous, drop-dead-soon kind of behaviour that they're celebrating. I just don't get it. I also feel like it's really damaged the general population's view of healthy weight loss and body image. If you're overweight, you don't need to be working out for 6 hours a day on 1000 calories to lose weight, nor have you 'failed' in your weight loss if you're 'only losing 1kg per week.'
It makes me so mad! :evil:

Offline Profile