Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:45 am 
power lies within

I am going to have to disagree. By making a shirt like this a non-issue it seems to me to be making the whole situation a non-issue. I know that so many of my non-eating disordered friends found this shirt appauling. To show how ridiculously people think one of my friends said, "well, that is what teenagers do." When asked what she meant she said that teenagers are anorexic and shop :-? . Obviously there are a ton of people who don't get it at all and this shirt just shows that even more. Also, I know I would be upset if confronted by someone wearing this shirt. It seems like it is being used as a mantra of sorts. Maybe I seem to be making more out of this than I should be, but in all honesty, I am REALLY annoyed by this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:46 am 
power lies within

Oh also...while correcting parenting and obtaining more treatment centers are extremely important, to me, having a shirt like this makes light of it and therefore will likely make people take "eating less" flippantly.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:54 am 
orange scribe

a shirt is not the problem though.

eliminating CATALYSTS is not going to solve eating disorders... you've got to have a plan for the before and for the after...

that shirt wouldn't have made my ed any worse.

and if we do assume it would worsen some... if not that shirt it would be something else... one shirt is not the issue. unless you get all society on board and fix tons of stuff including sizes.... a shirt is not going to matter.

I think thinspo is more damaging. pro ana sites. because those build a community... a shirt does not have that same power.

that catalyst I believe to be different because it creates a community of acceptance... where they discourage treatment. lose the disorder lose the love the connections.

also: just like someone on this site wants to buy the shirt now... how many others will find it and want to buy it that would not have went on that site before also...?

it's a shirt.

there are shirts out there in poor taste... but at the end of the day a shirt only has the power you give it.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:42 pm 
orange is hot

Kaz wrote:
By making a shirt like this a non-issue it seems to me to be making the whole situation a non-issue.

I don't think it's a non-issue, just that it's not nearly as serious an issue as issues with education, insurance, treatment availability, etc. It's like the difference between a bullet wound and a broken ankle; the ankle is a serious problem, but you're not going to bleed to death from it in the next few minutes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:46 pm 
orange wonder

In a way I kind of side with Kaz. People make this seem like a non-issue for one simple reason: A lack of education. People do not know just how serious EDs are.

But you're right, Kat. At the end of the day, a piece of fabric has only the meaning you give it and there are way worse and more triggering things than a shirt.

Gosh, sorry if I seem like I'm riding the fence here!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:41 am 
orange is a state of mind

peacewithin wrote:
personally I don't like any shirt that pokes fun at eating... I get that they are meant to be sarcastic and that people that have never had or been close to someone with an eating disorder consider them clever or funny.

However, it reminds me of the "I beat anorexia" shirt that only comes in xl or xxl, or xxxl shirts... how would it be any different than a emanciated anorexic wearing a shirt saying "I beat complusive overeating" ?

Maybe I have a twisted sense of humour, but I'd possibly buy one if they did. if only for the reasons I stated before. It's my way of standing up for myself in public I suppose. I haven't the guts to say anything to people who're plain rude by staring. It helps me both make them realise it's not ok in some cases, and achieve the air of not being bothered (I can't stand to look upset/vulnerable in public) in others.
That's just me though.
Anayway, a shirt like that on an obvious anorexic is not going to encourage the whole size 0 thing, quite the opposite I'd have thought. Sort of reinforces the stark reality of the never too thin culture.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:55 pm 
healthy is sexy

Thought you all might like to know-- I heard today the shirt has been pulled.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 pm 
seraphien wrote:
Thought you all might like to know-- I heard today the shirt has been pulled.

That's good to hear. Something positive came out of people expressing disgust obviously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:15 pm 
orange scribe

they pulled it from the site.

you can still get it inside the stores though

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:29 am 
healthy is sexy

Ugh, seriously?
That's just plain idiotic of them. Obviously it caused bad press and negative attention; keeping it around, even with production costs, isn't exactly a fabulous business move IMO.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2