Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Urban Outfitters' Pro-Ana Shirt *Possibly Triggering Photo*
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:01 pm 
power lies within

Looks like it is time for me to boycott Urban Outfitters. This is ridiculous and I imagine with all the bad press it will get, that this shirt will soon disappear from stores.

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/13944

For those who don't like to click links ( ;) ), from The Cleveland Leader...

Quote:
Urban Outfitters does admittedly have at least some pretty cool clothes, but if you're bigger than say a size 8 or are anything more than small-chested, good luck finding anything there to fit. I suppose that could be the message of their latest t-shirt, "Eat Less" and maybe you'll be able to buy/wear our clothes.

Perhaps some of the American population could stand to take the shirt's advice, but for those impressionable teens who shop at Urban Outfitters, it's message is more pro-anorexia than anything, especially when worn by an emaciated model.

Many are outraged by the t-shirt. If you too would like to give Urban Outfitters a piece of your mind, you can send your comments to service@urbanoutfitters.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:24 pm 
healthy is sexy

if i could have afforded their clothes in the first place, i'd totally not shop there anymore.

seriously though... this is ridiculous, i'm absolutely appalled.

(on a less serious note, i cant help but find incredible irony that im sitting here watching my second hour of man v food, which if you've seen the show you can imagine why)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:51 pm 
orange is a state of mind

:shock: wow. fuck that store.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:29 am 
orange scribe

this really doesn't upset me that much... probably created to cause a stir.

remember when they sold the Please Don't Feed the Models shirts? or the I beat Anorexia (which I did find in poor taste) ones...

meh... I think we spend too much time getting angry about stuff like this... I think that sort of energy should be focused on the awareness of eating disorders... or towards insurance companies... rather than something that will what? cause more people to check out their site? really publicity, even negative, just draws attention to...

and I love anthropologie

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:14 am 
orange is a state of mind

I hate to say it, but I want one lol. One thing I HATE is in summer when you can't cover up so much and people look at you like some kind of freak. I already have a t-shirt that says "Please do not feed" and and a vest top with "I am just an illusion", it helps switch things from you getting embarrassed at them looking, to them getting embarrassed when they do it. Could do with another, in fact that one might actually be better...

I'd have thought it was more a sarcastic take on people always asking skinny people "How do you stay so thin?" when the answer is obvious. I could be wrong though.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:24 am 
MovingOn wrote:
I'd have thought it was more a sarcastic take on people always asking skinny people "How do you stay so thin?" when the answer is obvious. I could be wrong though.

That's an interesting twist on it.. I'd not considered perhaps it was a sarcastic response... I used to hate constantly being asked how I was so thin and why too... like it was some sort of magic secret I was hiding when the answer is just so ridiculously obvious.

I think perhaps what bothers me is that their clothing sizes only go up to an 8.... I think that makes it somehow elitist rather than sarcastic and the fact it's being modelled on such an obviously emaciated model suggests a certain pride that comes with it... but I'm not sure. I might be extrapolating. It's a bit like those "I beat anorexia" t-shirts that are normally only sold in XXL as it's supposed to be a joke.. and I'm never really sure how I feel about them.

I guess at least it makes you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:28 am 
galactic orange

^Lol, the best slogan I ever saw on a t shirt was 'Have a nice day. Fuck someone' xD
This is why I don't like designer clothing - the sizes are too small (I have to take two sizes bigger when I shop in those sort of shops), some of the slogans are plain weird, oh, is that a dress that model's wearing?! I don't even like the look of the shirt, never mind the slogan. I just hope people don't take it seriously.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:31 am 
orange is hot

Rainbow. wrote:
oh, is that a dress that model's wearing?!

I can't stand this trend of super-long shirts. I'm only 5'1", so they really ARE mini-dresses on me! My torso is short enough naturally, I don't need to make it look stumpy via badly-fitting clothing.

I interpret the shirt the same way as Butterfly; it might have been originally conceived as a joke along the same lines as the "I Beat Anorexia" shirt, but the presentation - on a skinny model and only available up to size 8 - moves it from a sarcastic/ironic place to a more sincere one. A heavy person wearing the "Anorexia" shirt is ostensibly poking fun at themselves, turning the message inward; a skinny person wearing a shirt that says "Eat Less" is ostensibly turning the message outward.

That being said, I also agree with FadingHippie; this is a teacup tragedy compared to the issues with the medical establishment and insurance companies.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:02 am 
galactic orange

Blue Decay wrote:
Rainbow. wrote:

I can't stand this trend of super-long shirts. I'm only 5'1", so they really ARE mini-dresses on me! My torso is short enough naturally, I don't need to make it look stumpy via badly-fitting clothing.

Neither can I. I actually wear them with leggings or whatever, or just on their own if they're that long (yeah, I'm quite brave). I'm 5'5" so they don't seem that long on me, but I can understand your issue.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:06 am 
orange scribe

Rainbow. wrote:
Blue Decay wrote:
Rainbow. wrote:

Neither can I. I actually wear them with leggings or whatever, or just on their own if they're that long (yeah, I'm quite brave). I'm 5'5" so they don't seem that long on me, but I can understand your issue.

I do the same... and if they're not quite that long, I wear tights underneath

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:08 am 
power lies within

personally I don't like any shirt that pokes fun at eating... I get that they are meant to be sarcastic and that people that have never had or been close to someone with an eating disorder consider them clever or funny.

However, it reminds me of the "I beat anorexia" shirt that only comes in xl or xxl, or xxxl shirts... how would it be any different than a emanciated anorexic wearing a shirt saying "I beat complusive overeating" ?

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:12 am 
healthy is sexy

im actually surprised at how much people arent bothered by this. i realize there are MUCH bigger issues going on, however, as a group of people who, a majority of which are passionate about changing girls upbringings so that EDs are NOT developed, it seems like a huge slap in the face to have this shirt be put out in a major clothing store. this isnt like a mom and pop shop, which i see as a big difference. keep in mind, im not criticizing, im just observing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:27 am 
orange scribe

I think the media and stuff like this is a catalyst... but NOTa leading cause... that's why I don't get pissy.

and I think it is sarcastic tongue in cheek.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:28 am 
power lies within

Well, on the company's website with the description it doesn't seem tongue in cheek.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:36 am 
orange scribe

I still don't really care... it's a shirt.

how many do you think will sell?

if you hadn't posted this (which prompted one member to want one) how many people would be aware?

negative publicity is still publicity.

there are larger fish to fry.

why do people focus on these tiny things? because the bigger picture seems more daunting?

if you're not prone to an eating disorder...

shirts don't cause eating disorders..

we need to fix the causes (parenting being a huge one) and treatment affordability and availability.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next