Last visit was: It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Australia's Next Top Model Told to Lose Weight
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:28 pm 
power lies within

Quote:
Alison Boxer, a contestant on Australia's Next Top Model, says she was told to shed pounds although she is technically underweight, News.com.au reports. Boxer, * pounds, was told by a guest mentor to lose "centimetres from her thighs." Boxer said, "It was a shock to the system to be told I needed to lose weight....At home a lot of people say I'm too skinny."

A spokesperson for Foxtel, which airs the program, confirmed that Boxer was told to slim down.
The show's scout Lizzi Leighton Clark said "at the end of the day you have to be tall and skinny to be a model."

* article edited to remove weight

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:31 pm 
power lies within

From the original article (also edited)

Quote:
POPULAR reality show Australia's Next Top Model has been accused of bowing to industry pressure by promoting super slim models in its new season, after encouraging fuller figures last year.
Despite being hailed for crowning healthy size 10 Tahnee Atkinson as the 2009 winner, producers this year have once again favoured a "more commercial" frame for the top 16.

One of this season's contestants is Melbourne teenager Alison Boxer.

At *kg, Alison, 16, is underweight, according to the universally recognised Body Mass Index.

But that's not good enough for a guest mentor on the latest series of the Fox8 show.

Alison said she was told to lose "centimetres from her thighs".

"It was a shock to the system to be told I needed to lose weight," she said.

"At home a lot of people say I'm too skinny. I was *kg at one stage, which I thought was a bit scary.

"So I was coming from a place where people were telling me to gain weight, to now people saying I should lose weight."

Alison, the second-youngest of 16 contestants, said she was one of four girls told to lose weight just a week into filming of the catty TV competition.

A Foxtel spokesperson confirmed Alison was told to shed a centimetre around her waist. But the contestant said she was told her hips and thighs were the real problem areas.

"I have never tried to lose weight before, but since then I have been going to the gym twice a day and eating in proportion to try to lose the weight," she said.

Sydney hopeful Chantal Croccolo, 20, said while thin was back in, the contestants should not be accused of supporting unhealthy body images.

"I have been thin my whole life but I understand the need to be healthy. I don't agree we all have to be skinny," she said.

Model agent and show scout Lizzi Leighton Clark said that producers had not searched for particular body shapes but "at the end of the day you have to be tall and skinny to be a model".

"Hopefully, we have a range of body shapes, faces and personalities, but tall and slim is what works," she said.

Eating Disorders Victoria spokeswoman Megan O'Connor slammed the show for promoting a poor body image among impressionable teenagers.

"Most people would look at her and see a particularly attractive young woman, yet it is suggested she lose further weight, and it is not attainable," Ms O'Connor said.

"We would prefer the show to promote diversity of body shape rather than assume a model needs to look super skinny."

It is not the first time the Fox8 series has come under fire for encouraging vulnerable young girls to lose weight.

The 2008 winner, Demelza Reveley, was initially mocked by mentor Jonathon Pease and judge Charlotte Dawson for her "fat" bottom and thighs.

The latest series is being filmed in Sydney and will air on Fox8 in July.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:38 pm 
orange wonder

^Although I can't stand the series period, in the American installment of the show, the judges usually seem especially worried if a girl is underweight. A lot of the girls are usually incredibly thin (though they have had several plus-sized contestants) but it breaks my heart if one of them is revealed as having an eating disorder. There was one girl in the third season I could relate to who told another girl that she was bulimic, but when the judges called her out on it, she denied it. It's just very, very sad.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 pm 
MartyCaseyFan wrote:
^Although I can't stand the series period, in the American installment of the show, the judges usually seem especially worried if a girl is underweight. A lot of the girls are usually incredibly thin (though they have had several plus-sized contestants) but it breaks my heart if one of them is revealed as having an eating disorder. There was one girl in the third season I could relate to who told another girl that she was bulimic, but when the judges called her out on it, she denied it. It's just very, very sad.

I saw an episode of one of the American ones where one of the contestents admitted to Tyra Banks she was bulimic and they offered her help but the girl refused it all and said she was going to keep doing what she was doing. The girl got sent home in the next episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:05 pm 
orange wonder

^I remember that one. I felt terrible for the girl, but if she didn't want the help, then that was her choice.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:13 pm 
MartyCaseyFan wrote:
^I remember that one. I felt terrible for the girl, but if she didn't want the help, then that was her choice.

Yeah that's how I felt too.. and I think they did the right thing in sending her home as being there was just going to encourage her eating disorder if she was going to refuse help and just keep doing what she was doing.
Very sad though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:20 pm 
power lies within

To be honest, I really don't like those shows. They are an all to real reminder of what is wrong with society and it's views on healthy. The world is in desperate need of more people willing to stand up and say "I am not afraid to be healthy" and "I love my body more when I am strong, rather when I have starved or purged"

The best way to stop the growth of such shows and even magazines is to not watch, or buy something that isn't healthy.

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:23 pm 
peacewithin wrote:
The best way to stop the growth of such shows and even magazines is to not watch, or buy something that isn't healthy.

This is very true.. I have real difficulty not watching them though.. and I'm really not sure why

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:31 pm 
power lies within

Butterfly wrote:
peacewithin wrote:

This is very true.. I have real difficulty not watching them though.. and I'm really not sure why

perhaps it appeals to part of the ED? It used to do that for me, but now I just find it sad.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:34 pm 
peacewithin wrote:
Butterfly wrote:
peacewithin wrote:

perhaps it appeals to part of the ED? It used to do that for me, but now I just find it sad.

Yeah that's probably it.. I'll let go of it eventually I think. I don't put them on to record now at least so I just watch them if I happen to be watching TV and I see it's on.. which I guess is an improvement from watching every single episode of every series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:42 pm 
power lies within

^ Even a small step in the right direction is a good thing. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:02 pm 
orange you prolific

That is so sad. Think about what must be going on in this woman's mind since they told her this. Not to mention, how unhealthy it is for her body to lose any more weight if she's already underweight. ::shakes head in disbelief::

http://youtube.com/arielleleebair [recovery videos]
http://twitter.com/arielleleebair

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:40 am 
exploring my potential!

I find those shows so vapid, what a waste of time!

I watched "secret millionare" helping impoverish communities anonymously, now that is worth watching!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:58 pm 
i love orange

The American Top Model is the best, many of the other ones I've seen are much more body-prejuduced. There would never be a pressure to lose weight on ANTM, I wish Tyra Banks would address this in some way.

I began watching America's Next Top Model because the girls were thin & I wanted thinspiration, and now I don't give a damn. I watch it because I love the art of modelling, I barely notice their body weight anymore. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:38 am 
orange is a state of mind

people's attitudes are out of whack at times. I saw an article on Anorexia by chance a few days back when reading the daily news, and it showed photographs of someone in her late teens (maybe 18?) before and after she recovered. It didn't reveal her height, and I won't quote the weight, but let's just say she was low enough to be considered in need of hospital by many. Several readers in the comments section said they thought she was lying about her weight in the picture, or looked better/more attrractive in the skinny one. Despite having since gained 40lbs, and probably still only a few lbs into the healthy range.

The model programs don't show on freeview here, and I can't say I feel deprived.

Offline Profile