Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Intervention: Bulimia episode
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:06 pm 
orange addict

So did anyone see that episode on intervention with the girl with bulimia who weighs *very little*(edited). Her name's Amy P. I don't know about you guys but I have such a hard time watching specials on eating disorders. I always end up changing the channel. :-(

Blaq Girl With an ED: http://complexxsimplicity.tumblr.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:09 pm 
power lies within

^ Can you please remove the weight?

I unserstand it being hard to watch things regarding EDs...I am the same way. I must admit that when I am trying to trigger myself I tend to watch them more.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:14 pm 
power lies within

I used to be very facinated by eating disorder movies and episodes, but I don't really find them helpful. They make me feel sad with my own issues and why no one gave me an intervention. I need to work on the comparrisons though! I did make it, and no matter what movies or episodes say, recovery takes time and allot of hard work. somehow they always end in "she's fine now" because she's no longer X lbs..

*sorry, It was me that edited your post. Just thought it was best.

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:18 pm 
orange addict

sorry about posting the weight! i didnt think about it possibly being triggering.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:56 pm 
orange scribe

i saw an episode on intervention about a bulimic woman though she was a higher weight. i saw an episode with an anorexic woman who was more the stereotype physically and i found it triggery but also like Christen said those things make me wonder why no one pushed help on me

Recovery Boat
My Photos

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:34 pm 
exploring my potential!

I saw the Amy P episode. It was really intense. Parts of it were very triggering. However, I think in the end, seeing it was actually somewhat beneficial to me. It was very sad, she had gotten to the point where her life was 100% revolved around her eating disorder and she had lost everything. She didn't "recover".

I guess it made me realise how much I don't want to get any worse again.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:41 pm 
power lies within

Suzie wrote:
It was very sad, she had gotten to the point where her life was 100% revolved around her eating disorder and she had lost everything. She didn't "recover".

This is why I hate those shows. *(and most memoir ED books too)* Real recovery takes time and allot of hard work. They often don't end on a good note where eating disorders are concerned. It leaves people struggeling think that recovery isn't possible. It IS. ANYONE CAN RECOVER.

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 pm 
orange addict

peacewithin wrote:

This is why I hate those shows. *(and most memoir ED books too)* Real recovery takes time and allot of hard work. They often don't end on a good note where eating disorders are concerned. It leaves people struggeling think that recovery isn't possible. It IS. ANYONE CAN RECOVER.

yah i also hate reading literature or anything else that makes it seem like we can never recover. i feel like if you dont believe it, then its not possible. where there's a will, there's a way and im confident that i wont live the rest of my life like this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:28 pm 
stranger in an orange land

I saw that episode as well and was a little apalled at the fact that they only addressed the bulimia in the episode. Many bulimics are actually normal weight, so it can be quite triggering to see some one labeled only bulimic who is drastically underweight. This person was obviously purging via exercise and annorexic as well.
Was I the only one that said to themself, "She's not telling the truth" when they showed her at the end of the episode and she was telling the camera how she was now working with the staff? I could tell she was not telling the truth and sure enough, at the end of the episode it stated that she was back to her old situation. Why wouldn't the MD's and therapists see through her mask of compliance? That's the saddest part, to me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Intervention: Bulimia episode
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:47 pm 
getting under the peel

I showed the Amy P. episode to my parents to help them understand what I was actually going through, what could happen to me, and how serious it is. It was very triggering for me, but it got my point across to my parents.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Intervention: Bulimia episode
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:17 pm 
orange you prolific

I watched most of it recently. It actually helped me realize some of the reasoning behind my own problems. Intervention is a guilty pleasure of mine and thankfully I no longer seem to get triggered by it.

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile