Last visit was: It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Male mannequins could lead to flood of EDs (*MEASUREMENTS*)
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:06 pm 
(Maybe triggering. This contains the mannequins measurements)

The charity beat has warned that an introduction of thinner male mannequins could lead to greater incidences of eating disorders in men..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1273878/Male-mannequin-just-27in-waist-sparks-fears-eating-disorders.html

Last edited by Recoveredandproud on Fri May 07, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:09 pm 
power lies within

Yeah I heard about the new men's mannequins. Ugh. What the hell is that about? I already know several men whose eating is disordered. Must the retail industry make things worse?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:12 pm 
Kaz wrote:
Yeah I heard about the new men's mannequins. Ugh. What the hell is that about? I already know several men whose eating is disordered. Must the retail industry make things worse?

I know... I hate the fashion designers justifcation too.. that apparently the models are based on pubescent boys... I doubt that's true but if it is then what the hell? Why are they basing their mannequins for adult clothing on boys?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:10 pm 
orange wonder

Butterfly wrote:
Kaz wrote:

I know... I hate the fashion designers justifcation too.. that apparently the models are based on pubescent boys... I doubt that's true but if it is then what the hell? Why are they basing their mannequins for adult clothing on boys?!

Exactly. Doesn't that seem kinda creepy to put something meant for someone older on someone with a body type of someone waaaaay younger?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:18 am 
orange addict

As a guy...

I've been seeing more and more weight loss ads for guys on the internet. Untill recently, my mother was very proud that I could not buy jeens in my size. My waist was several inches shorter than my inseem, a proportion which normally does not exist. I guess that was 50% body type and 50% squeezing into too small jeens... Now I've moved up 2 inches in waist size and am much more comfortable.

In the last months before I joined this site, I was counting callories severely. I did start to look at the advertizements. I do think they triggered me. But for the most part, I think guys who are chasing the cleen cut abs look are pounding protien shakes just as much as they are working out, so I don't think undernutrition is such a problem... Though I'm not sure about that either. I only know about US high school on this matter, but it's unpleasant to work out on a full stomach, and if you're packing in some crunches at lunch just to get a little bit more time on the machiens in the afternoon, and you're not eating in the afternoon because you don't want to upset your stomach... I think it leads to binge eating at night... It's really much different though. Eating till your sick is part of our culture as guys. We go out for hamburgers, and pizza, and fries, and hot dogs afterwards(Except for me, I never ate anything "unhealthy" like that), and are always like "duuuude"(you can express almost any concept, simply by saying the word "dude" correctly, it's an entire language in one word...)

I think that the fashion industry should pick random models of the streat with no selection process. The purpose of fashion is to make cloths to compliment people, not to make people to compliment to cloths.

On the ground, I was actually seeing an explosion of interesting stuff going on in the track world. As new gells, protien bars, and energy drinks came out people, guys included, where becoming very obsessive about food. It's much more complex than just callorie counting though. But set right into the foundation of many coaching strategies is the concept of safe foods, and unsafe foods. Don't eat this, it'll mess with your digestion, don't eat that, you'll digest it too quickly, ect ect ect...

I guess it's gotten really bad, as national statistics are up on the internet now, the competition is painfully feirce. At my best, I was working myself to the bone, and really manipulating my food intake. I was good, I was well into the top 100 on the state list in the 800m dash... But I could see on the internet, that there where guys running WAY faster than me who where a year or two younger... Not to mention, I had gone from top 20 in the country while in middle school, to not making it on the national list, as the feild grew. It deffinately caused major complications in my eating...

I think guys are probably much more likely to get bullimia than anorexia, because we have such a culture of binge eating. I also think that there should be a new category for guys. You see there IS a neurological difference between guys and girls, and it's in the way we gate(ignore) pain. Guys have a much higher pain tollerance than girls, especcially when under the influence of adrenalin. I think that guys are probably more susseptable to not eating because they are ignoring the feeling of hunger than girls. I think a lot of guys simply forget to eat, or feel no urge to eat. This is a really big problem for guys on the Autistic spectrum(which is actually a really large number of guys, about 1.2% of guys are on the spectrum) as people on the autistic spectrum have even stronger pain gating. This failiure to eat actually leads to hospitalization quite regularly in young children on the spectrum, and many of the "nerdier" guys are mal-nurished...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:38 am 
orange is a state of mind

^I was going to disagree with you about girls being less able to ignore hunger or pain, as that's not what I find. But then you mentioned autism, and perhaps that means I'm not typical of what's average- I'm diagnosed autistic myself (though I'm female, but around 1 in 5 of those diagnosed are). So I'm unsure now. What do others think? Especially those who maybe have partners, or even brothers, close friends who're male, do you think you generally have a lower tolerance than they do?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:30 am 
healthy is sexy

^ I know altogether too many people who don't fit into the sexual binary to agree with a blanket statement about pain tolerance... maybe there's a neurological difference, but of course that's not going to be an absolute - everyone's pain tolerance is different so perhaps on the whole males have a higher neurological pain tolerance than females, but when you compare two individuals it could go either way. There's probably a social influence too: it's less socially acceptable for males to express pain, physical or emotional, so people raised as males are socialized to ignore pain or suppress their response to it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:58 am 
Women have a higher pain threshold (as else we wouldn't be able to give birth.. I'm sure I learnt in biology at some point that a man would die through the amount of pain a woman endures through labor) but that doesn't mean women feel less pain or feel it differently just that they can withstand it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:02 am 
exploring my potential!

Butterfly wrote:
Women have a higher pain threshold (as else we wouldn't be able to give birth.. I'm sure I learnt in biology at some point that a man would die through the amount of pain a woman endures through labor) but that doesn't mean women feel less pain or feel it differently just that they can withstand it.

I agree with all of this. But back on topic, I think the new mannequins are ridiculous. They don't look like men, they look like 12 year olds.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:03 am 
orange is a state of mind

this really ticks me off. My husband was anorexic for a while in high school (he was a wrestler..) and nearly died from it. Lucky for me, he recovered but his eating is still disordered at times. I also know a lot of gay males from college who are in the entertainment industry and although the deny it, i know they have EDs was well. WHy does everyone feel the need to make things smaller, thinner, "better" in their opinion?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:52 pm 
orange is hot

Rook wrote:
There's probably a social influence too: it's less socially acceptable for males to express pain, physical or emotional, so people raised as males are socialized to ignore pain or suppress their response to it.

Very much so. Neurologically speaking, females actually have a much higher pain threshold than males. It's built into us so we can survive childbirth.

toomuchthinking wrote:
The purpose of fashion is to make cloths to compliment people, not to make people to compliment to cloths.

Unfortunately, far too many people, from designers to consumers, believe the opposite. How many people start a diet "to fit into that little black dress/that pair of pants/that style of clothing"?

Offline Profile