Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The Saturday newspaper this morning
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:45 pm 
orange goddess

It's Saturday here and I'm not going to post a link because of the potentially triggering content. I don't think it will be helpful to anyone.

The calorie content of several different kinds of chocolate easter egg was listed along with a guide to how much running you would have to do to work it off. The front page was the first one and then later on in the paper there were a whole different range of Easter eggs with ranges of different exercise that would negate the calorie content. The list was compiled by a dietician who should surely understand the dangers of excessive calorie counting.

I realise we are going through an 'obesity epidemic' here but seeing those numbers triggered me a lot and they are going to be very difficult to forget. I like to think of Easter as one of those times where you can eat what you want without worrying, if you ask me this kind of thing in a public newspaper is training people to do the very opposite :(.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:55 pm 
orange scribe

ugh that makes me very angry!!! thank you for the warning! even looking at stuff (the online paper here) pissed me off

Recovery Boat
My Photos

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:02 pm 
orange is a state of mind

Ugh. Its become such a part of society and I hate it aye. Trying to educate ppl but hard when your up against the media. Grrr and unfortunately lots of dieticians in this country do prescribe calorie counting. Sad but true. Its kinda like finding a good osteo. So many out there who are potentially bad.

"Think like an Athlete"

My Blood Type = B+ :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:07 pm 
orange you glad?

Thing is, making people aware of calories in the foods they eat EVERY DAY *could POSSIBLY* be helpful to those who are obese/overweight and aren't sure how to go about losing weight for health reasons. But easter eggs? Who eats EASTER EGGS every day? It is ONE day of the year, and nobody is going to benefit from refusing their favourite seasonal treats. It's not going to make anyone lose weight, just as indulging is not going to make anyone really gain any weight. Graahhhh this makes me SO angry.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:03 pm 

beautiful. I like it.
Run run as fast as u can before the egg gets you.

Sadly that is what NZ feels is news worthy. Don't worry about the rest of the world. OMG its easter and we are eating chocolate.
Sometimes the smallness of my country (mind) astounds me

"Think like an Athlete"

My Blood Type = B+ :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:37 pm 
orange goddess

It just irritates me, it'd be fine if it was in a "nutrition for easter" column or something but what was even worse is they had a 10 year old girl on the front page saying she likes chocolate and makes her chocolate bunny last three days and then used that as a platform to display all these calorie amounts. As if they think a 10 year old should be counting calories or something? Grrr pisses me off. This is one of NZ's biggest papers read by most of the lower North Island and the capital city, it's ludicrous.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:02 pm 
orange wonder

I live in the US, but here we have articles like this all the time. I remember one year during Coney Island's hot dog festival, a weight watchers representative kept listing off how much a person would have to restrict just by eating the amount of hot dogs some people eat in these contests.

Yes, I understand I live in the fattest nation on the planet. Yes, I know the world is practically in a global obesity pandemic. But has anyone stopped to think that starvation and compulsive exercise isn't the answer? Besides, it's like you said Liz, who is going to eat stuff like this every day? Why do we need to know how much we need to run to burn off a cute little chocolate bunny that only comes around once a year?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:35 am 

It's true, but that said, it's becoming the law to put calorie counts on virtually everything. I promised myself I'd order a vegan Easter egg next year and I'm just praying it won't have a calorie count on the box because I don't want to know! Estimation is bad enough, if I knew the exact number it'd put me off no end, when it shouldn't MATTER, cos like you say, it's one day, you're not gonna gain a couple stone from one day of allowing yourself some chocolate.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:02 pm 
exploring my potential!

Its very easy to get angry about this but I think sometimes we need to step out of 'eating disorder land' and remember that the whole population will not be 'triggered' by this sort of thing.

Although I don't think its really 'neccessary' information, it is 'information' and could be useful to a lot of people. I am sure there are a lot of people out there who dont understand just how many calories are in an innocent little easter egg. For someone who is perhaps overweight and wants to loose weight, this could be really helpful information to them and also be an extra reminder not to OVER indulge on easter chocolate.

I don't think the intention is to stop people from eating easter eggs but simply to create awareness.

I think of us here along with the whole world are quite fine to have that bit more chocolate over easter than they usually would. To me the article simply reminds people not to go overboard.

Just my opinion...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:29 am 
exploring my potential!

^ I think that that is a REALLY good point Ashleigh!! I think we do have a tendency to get caught up in our ED worlds and see everything from that perspective, even when it is really pretty innocent! Food and things realated to it, are probably always going to be a bit more of a big deal for us, than the general population.

I have to admit that when I first saw the article yesterday, I did wonder what the point of it was and was it really necessary to put it in the paper, but now after reading this from you, I have a much more balanced perspective on it- so thanks :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:01 am 
orange goddess

I can see where you are coming from Ashleigh but I definitely still think they didn't need a huge article on the front page. Something people could choose to read or not to read would have been more appropriate but yeah, makes you think.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:05 am 
exploring my potential!

Catrat wrote:
I can see where you are coming from Ashleigh but I definitely still think they didn't need a huge article on the front page. Something people could choose to read or not to read would have been more appropriate but yeah, makes you think.

Fair enough... but I know for me there are lots of things on the front page of newspapers that I don't think are worthy of front page or really relevant at all. But we don't ponder on these things a minute after reading it.

I think when these things come up in the media in any form, we should be thinking in a more 'but how does this article affect the rest of the world' sense, and then move on and forget about it.
:)

Offline Profile