Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "Better for you" foods
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:46 pm 
getting under the peel

So lately I've been noticing that in a lot of big stores like Target, the food section has certain parts of each aisle that are marked "better for you" foods, or "healthy choice" foods. However.... they're not healthy, they're just low-calorie diet foods, and many have a lot of icky chemicals like aspartame that are definitely NOT healthy. (and much LESS healthy than the organic option that was on the other 'unhealthy' side of the aisle).
I don't know how other people feel about this, but personally I find it very frustrating! Many people, probably a lot of young girls, are seeing this kind of advertising as saying that diet foods are better for you, its a good idea to be on a diet, etc. Since we (at least here in the US) hear more about calories than any other type of nutritional value, it seems like the average person would not have any idea at all that low calories doesn't necessarily mean healthier food.
Sorry this is a little bit of a rant, its just extremely sad to me that every time people go to buy groceries, they are bombarded with ads for diet products. It seems to all be a big money making scheme, with no concern whatsoever for the wellbeing of the customers. I could go on for hours...
Is there something we can do to change this???

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:27 pm 
feeling out the orange

Counter-message 1. If you can't pronounce 2/3+ of the ingredients, then you shouldn't be eating it.
Counter-message 2. Food should sustain life. If this won't go mouldy (sustain life) then it is not capable of sustaining me living my life.

Who should hear these messages? Well... the people who do the grocery displays and aisles, as well as the food companies.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:52 am 
exploring my potential!

I whole heartedly agree. I believe that is one of the biggest triggers for someone with an ED. The thing is, most people have a distorted view of what is healthy. We are bombarded with advertising, and in a sense fooled into believing we want to eat things we may not (KFC anyone?).

But the other side of that, like you said, is the low cal crap that is equally unhealthy. As we all know, eating low cal can be incredibly bad for you. Organic foods, or at the least wholegrain foods with healthy oils, omega fatty acids, vitamins, proteins and minerals are essential to sustain a healthy body. Just because the diet shakes in chemists say low cal does not mean they are any good for you. Someone who is immensely overweight is better off swapping from large meals of junk to large meals of wholegrain foods, and tackling the attitudes that lead them to chose such unhealthy foods.

The low cal thing was in a way a justification for me starving myself when
I was really sick. And the thing is many people are fooled by that. Many people believe that eating no carbs is good for you. First of all, it will make you hungry and therefore more likely to binge on crap and secondly you need carbohydrates for a balanced diet. Sorry, I'm on a rant here but I totally agree. More people need to start looking beneath what the advertisers are trying to sell us, because they will do anything to make money. We, as consumers need to pay attention to what we really want and need, not what the marketers are telling us that we need.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:25 am 
orange addict

WinterRosie wrote:
Counter-message 2. Food should sustain life. If this won't go mouldy (sustain life) then it is not capable of sustaining me living my life.

^^ I love this! :clap: :-)

I find the whole 'healthy options' a real trap too, as it makes you rationalise and argue with yourself about what is good and what the rest of the world 'must' also be doing... But when I was in IP, my doctor kept telling me that actually, the whole supersize me McDonalds only diet would, in the short term, do me a lot less damage than what I was subsisting on. Clearly this was not advocating going out and eating that crap, but it just highlights that low calorie, or even healthy organic food, is certainly not always 'automatically' good for you, if you abuse it/don't get enough of it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:26 am 
galactic orange

My parents actually buy this sort of food and eat it. They're both overweight (my mum's going in for a gastric bypass soon) and they think it's doing them good. That is why I do without food like mayonaise, fromage frais, coleslaw (which I love) etc etc. And then they tell me it's good for me. Huh? I think I'll stick to my own thoughts about food, and the stuff my nutritionist told me (which was full fat foods are better, than diet foods, because they contain all the essential oils and fats our bodies need, that aren't in the diet foods.)

The only things I will eat, however, are low fat yogurts (I've never had a full fat yogurt, believe it or not) and skimmed milk. But seriously, when this stuff is poking out at you from supermarket shelves, it's hard to justify what's better, the low calorie chemical-laden stuff. or the chemical free stuff. I think the rationality in all of us knows which is better.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:50 am 
orange is hot

i agree,that kind of stuff can start ed's.for being healthier example a higher fat yogurt is better for you than low/non fat since low/non fat ones have tons of stuff added to them included aspartame.you need some fat esp omega 3's.flaxseeds are good for this.

TWLOHA-rescue IS possible
*blessed be

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: "Better for you" foods
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:59 am 
orange is hot

ramblingrose wrote:
So lately I've been noticing that in a lot of big stores like Target, the food section has certain parts of each aisle that are marked "better for you" foods, or "healthy choice" foods. However.... they're not healthy, they're just low-calorie diet foods, and many have a lot of icky chemicals like aspartame that are definitely NOT healthy. (and much LESS healthy than the organic option that was on the other 'unhealthy' side of the aisle).
I don't know how other people feel about this, but personally I find it very frustrating! Many people, probably a lot of young girls, are seeing this kind of advertising as saying that diet foods are better for you, its a good idea to be on a diet, etc. Since we (at least here in the US) hear more about calories than any other type of nutritional value, it seems like the average person would not have any idea at all that low calories doesn't necessarily mean healthier food.
Sorry this is a little bit of a rant, its just extremely sad to me that every time people go to buy groceries, they are bombarded with ads for diet products. It seems to all be a big money making scheme, with no concern whatsoever for the wellbeing of the customers. I could go on for hours...
Is there something we can do to change this???

this is tupid first i cannot shop in a store like this cuz its too tempting to et low cal crap second i love nuts esp as a ovo lacto veg and mostly vegan i wouldnt be able to live without nuts,when will people realize its better to just eat healthy?damn world.

TWLOHA-rescue IS possible
*blessed be

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:02 am 
orange is a state of mind

anna_mc wrote:
WinterRosie wrote:

You need to be careful with that one. Because obviously things like dried rice, beans, pasta, herbs etc etc won't go bad. Many cereals, canned and frozen fruit/veg etc etc, are all healthy too, but they won't go mouldy either. And sometimes, such as with frozen peas for example, they can be far MORE nutritious than the fresh ones in the produce section.

Do agree about the "healthy" labelled foods though. Luckily as a vegan, I wouldn't buy most of them anyway. But I know I won't buy foods stuffed full of additives and artificial sweeteners, MSG etc even if they are lower fat or calorie. If I couldn't bear the extra cals I'd rather have a smaller amount of the genuinely healthier one.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:01 am 
i love orange

i wholeheartedly agree,since its drastically UNHEALTHY to take in bad for you chemicals like that and you do need fat to be healthy plus,full fat yogurt esp greek yogurt with cereal and fruit on top is just plain YUMMY. and good for you. :)

"I'm selfish, impatient, & a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, & at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Offline Profile