Last visit was: It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Did anyone ever watch Sailor Moon?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:31 pm 
orange wonder

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Sailor Moon and it's one of my all-time favorite shows. However, I firmly believe that Serena had some sort of eating disorder in the series.

In the third episode released in English (Slim City), Serena freaks out about gaining half a pound. She goes on a starvation diet and then passes
out in the arms of her crush who takes her to lunch where afterwards Luna fusses at her for making a pig out of herself. She and her friends also start exercising incessantly at the gym. At the end of the episode, Sailor Moon encourages audience members not to go on a diet without a doctor's approval.

In episode 62 (Prediction of Doom) Serena finds out that Darien has a new boyfriend and binges on all the food in the fridge in the middle of the night. She says, "I don't care if I can't sleep, or if I get fat. I just want to eat my problems away".

This is nothing I'm getting angry over, and I don't find it personally triggering. This was just something I realized as I was watching the old episodes on youtube. I am a little irked that a children's show has chosen to portray eating disorders in an unrealistic light, but maybe in Japan, they do things differently because they're just culturally different. I mean, not only do they feel free to portray eating disorders this way, but the original Japanese episodes had more nudity that had to be edited to be suitable for American audiences. Thoughts?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:50 am 
exploring my potential!

It's Japanese culture and it was created years ago!!!

I loved it though, sailor jupiter was my favorite, Lita? She had the brown ponytail, green skirt and ice-skated! Ahhhh Anamie is soooo pretty and cute with the big eyes.

Try to take these things with a grain of salt, alot of girls eat ice-cream orchocolate after a break up. Lots of girls freak after gaining a little weight. It's just how society grooms women.

My mum said to me the other day that I wasn't acting like a lady. I looked at her and said " A lady is a human forced into a corset" Like forced into a mould... get it?!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:08 am 
orange you glad?

missteek wrote:
Try to take these things with a grain of salt, alot of girls eat ice-cream orchocolate after a break up. Lots of girls freak after gaining a little weight. It's just how society grooms women.

My mum said to me the other day that I wasn't acting like a lady. I looked at her and said " A lady is a human forced into a corset" Like forced into a mould... get it?!

That's definitely true about the "eating feelings" after an emotional upheaval like a breakup. Socially/culturally, it's pretty common and accepted. The fact she only does this once doesn't really say to me she necessarily had an ED, but that's just me. The over-exercising/starvation thing is a little more alarming but also, a LOT of teenaged girls go on crash/starvation diets without even realising what they're doing. It tends to end as quickly as it begins! I don't think it's an eating disorder thing so much as a teenage-girl thing :D

Also - the human in a corset thing! Totally agree, makes so much sense! Good insight, hehe.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:53 pm 
orange wonder

True. I suppose I do have to stop acting like the sky is falling. :) It's just quite irritating when people assume that this is "normal" teenage behavior, which is true in a sense. Lots of girls seem to go on crash diets from time to time, but where is the line that we draw? And when other girls seem to only talk about diet and exercise in front of us, it makes us wonder "Are they like us, or are they just normal, but a tad on the obsessive side?"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:08 am 
exploring my potential!

Try this.

Feel.

Breathe.

Let it go.

:heart:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:12 pm 
orange wonder

Good advice. :heart: :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:54 am 
stranger in an orange land

sailor moon is the best.
she totally didn't have an eating disorder. that is such a typical anime leading heroine. they eat excessively, they are teased about it by everyone, even though they remain tiny. it's just an anime formula.
i think you may be over analyzing serena. haha.
:)

Offline Profile