Last visit was: It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pee-Wee Herman and Bulimia?!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:32 pm 
power lies within

I was watching a movie I haven't seen since childhood, Big Top Pee-Wee and at one point a woman offers to help the shunned circus people get their goods at the market. When she wheels away a huge amount of food (I mean, it is for a large group of circus workers) two old women stay behind at the store and comment about all the food she is taking. One says, "but she is so thin" and the other then sticks her finger in her mouth and they both nod. :(

Dammit Pee-Wee. I wasn't in the mood to see that. *sigh* Obviously even though I watched it a couple of nights ago, it is staying with me. I never got it as a kid. (I think I was around 10)

Maybe I am just being iverly-sensitive about this. I know that some things are funny even if they are distasteful (such are Cyanide & Happiness' comic)

Ramble ramble ramble

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:36 pm 
power lies within

no, that just sucks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:49 pm 
healthy is sexy

Yeah, but Cyanide and Happiness isn't a kids' show...

That sounds awful, I hate seeing ED behaviors normalized or joked about for a young audience!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:25 pm 
exploring my potential!

I remember seeing that, and it really shocked me...that stuff definitely shouldn't be in kid's films. Not even a nod to it. Eating disorders are a tricky subject in kid's tv, and they should only be shown from certain angles, in a serious way, showing that it's unhealthy and as a problem that needs to be solved...not making fun of it or making light of the situation.

Btw Rook, as a Patrick fan, nice signature!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:54 pm 
orange wonder

kryf wrote:
I remember seeing that, and it really shocked me...that stuff definitely shouldn't be in kid's films. Not even a nod to it. Eating disorders are a tricky subject in kid's tv, and they should only be shown from certain angles, in a serious way, showing that it's unhealthy and as a problem that needs to be solved...not making fun of it or making light of the situation.

Btw Rook, as a Patrick fan, nice signature!

I've only seen one kids show where eating disorders are taken even remotely serious. There was one episode of Lizzie Macguire in which Lizzie becomes concerned with Miranda's diet. Granted it's not entirely realistic, but it does help show that it is a problem nonetheless and it can become very serious in the long run.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 am 
I remember watching a kid's cartoon called "Hey Arnold" and one of the girls in it was doing the long jump for sports day and was getting really good at it. And she figured if she did even more exercise and ate less she'd be even lighter and be able to jump even further and all her friends were trying to tell her to stop and that this was a bad idea and anyway she kept doing it and got better and better at it but was getting really tired.
Anyway on sportsday she doesn't eat at all and runs and jumps and jumps futher than anyone else but is so tired she collapses backwards into the sandpit so she actually ends up doing the shortest jump (as it's the futhest bit of your body back that gets measured).
After that she agrees with her friends that what she was doing was a bad idea and that she was addicted to it but then stopped doing it and got better.

This was before I developed an ED that I saw this... and it's always stuck with me for some reason. I think it was really well done for a childrens cartoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:14 pm 
power lies within

That is a good message for a kid's show! (The Hey, Arnold epsiode, not the Pee-Wee Herman one.) I am rarely offended by references to bulimia or anorexia in pop culture... the Cyanide and Happiness bulimia cartoon actually makes me laugh.

I don't find the implication that a woman is bulimic on Pee-Wee Herman to be "bad". It probably goes over the heads of most children. The only downside I see is if a kid did notice the gesture and ask their parent about it, the parent wouldn't be educated enough about bulimia to give a helpful answer. I would worry a father would say "some women stick their finger down their throat to throw up food so they can stay skinny", and then a young girl would try it, not knowing about all the negative implications of bulimia!

This is a bit off-topic, but I notice a lot of references to bulimia on Family Guy (more so than any other show I've watched). They certainly aren't positive or educational, but I still think some of them are funny. Some I don't. Family Guy makes fun of everything though, so even if I don't think it is funny, it doesn't offend me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:22 pm 
orange wonder

Butterfly wrote:
I remember watching a kid's cartoon called "Hey Arnold" and one of the girls in it was doing the long jump for sports day and was getting really good at it. And she figured if she did even more exercise and ate less she'd be even lighter and be able to jump even further and all her friends were trying to tell her to stop and that this was a bad idea and anyway she kept doing it and got better and better at it but was getting really tired.
Anyway on sportsday she doesn't eat at all and runs and jumps and jumps futher than anyone else but is so tired she collapses backwards into the sandpit so she actually ends up doing the shortest jump (as it's the futhest bit of your body back that gets measured).
After that she agrees with her friends that what she was doing was a bad idea and that she was addicted to it but then stopped doing it and got better.

This was before I developed an ED that I saw this... and it's always stuck with me for some reason. I think it was really well done for a childrens cartoon.

My God, I remembered that episode! Hey Arnold really was an amazing show both in entertainment quality and moral values. Why can't there be more shows like that these days?!

At delenda, sadly I don't think a lot of people in our society are educated about eating disorders at all. Throwing up after meals and not eating is totally normalized at my school. Sure, I am one of the sicker ones and people look at me like a basket case, but I'm just one person. Saving me will not save the scores of other girls you all watch throw up and starve every day. Yes, I am a basket case, but has anyone stopped to consider the others?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:27 pm 
power lies within

MartyCaseyFan wrote:

At delenda, sadly I don't think a lot of people in our society are educated about eating disorders at all. Throwing up after meals and not eating is totally normalized at my school. Sure, I am one of the sicker ones and people look at me like a basket case, but I'm just one person. Saving me will not save the scores of other girls you all watch throw up and starve every day. Yes, I am a basket case, but has anyone stopped to consider the others?

Throwing up, really? Skipping meals seems to be fairly normal, but I just can't see bulimia being acceptable among large groups.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:31 pm 
delenda wrote:
MartyCaseyFan wrote:

Throwing up, really? Skipping meals seems to be fairly normal, but I just can't see bulimia being acceptable among large groups.

It was pretty normalised at my old school. No one spoke openly about throwing up after meals but there were girls that carried toothbrushes in their pockets and were always brushing their teeth in the bathrooms after meals. I'm pretty sure everyone knew what was going on. The teachers certainly did as they started having a teacher stand in the toilets at break times. That curbed it a bit I think. And yeah skipping meals was the "in thing" at one point. But once again it wasn't really spoken openly about. It's completely different at my new college but then it's a much bigger college so I can pick the group I'm with so there probably are groups out there with the same sort of normalising of ED behaviour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:55 am 
power lies within

My god! Teachers on bathroom patrol?! That absolutely horrifies me. I feel very, very naive right now.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:15 pm 
orange wonder

delenda wrote:
MartyCaseyFan wrote:

Well, and when it all boils down to it, we're not really a "large" school. We don't have more than ninety to a grade.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:17 pm 
power lies within

I don't know, that still blows my mind! Teacher patrols!

I believe the entire student population of my high school was 90. Although later on two other girls with EDs enrolled (the student body was always in a state of flux and it was common for people to enroll and drop out on a weekly basis), my eating disorder was somewhat of a joke among everyone. It still is, actually... I occasionally I receive messages or emails reminiscing about certain "hilarious" events.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:29 pm 
power lies within

^ I am sorry to hear that people are still so juvenile and think it is funny to bring up things that are obviously not funny to you. People suck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:17 pm 
orange wonder

delenda wrote:
I don't know, that still blows my mind! Teacher patrols!

I believe the entire student population of my high school was 90. Although later on two other girls with EDs enrolled (the student body was always in a state of flux and it was common for people to enroll and drop out on a weekly basis), my eating disorder was somewhat of a joke among everyone. It still is, actually... I occasionally I receive messages or emails reminiscing about certain "hilarious" events.

Why would they think it's a joke? That's just sick.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next