Last visit was: It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Barbie Strikes Again
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:09 pm 
power lies within

Soooo

Due to their competition with dolls such as Bratz, the makers of Barbie decided to release a new version...Barbie Fashionista. The doll will wear runway inspired looks and by the look of the pictures, she will look like some of the models as well. *sigh* I mean, look at this doll's arms! Look at her legs! Of course the waist is as unrealistic as always but now they seem to have removed some of the breasts as well.

UGH.

Way to set a good example Barbie.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:17 pm 
When I was a kid we had a game called 'bungee jumping barbie' where we'd prop up ken dolls on the ground floor, then go to the top of the stairs looking over the banister and tie elastic round barbie. Then we'd bounce her up and down and try to knock the ken dolls over. When the game was over we'd draw bruises and stick bandages on the dolls. He heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:28 pm 
Gotta love that Alexandra :D.

Just urgh.. they've been considering this barbie for ages.. I thought they'd decided it was inappropriate- apparently not. The doll looks ugly like that anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:18 am 
power lies within

Alexandra wrote:
When I was a kid we had a game called 'bungee jumping barbie' where we'd prop up ken dolls on the ground floor, then go to the top of the stairs looking over the banister and tie elastic round barbie. Then we'd bounce her up and down and try to knock the ken dolls over. When the game was over we'd draw bruises and stick bandages on the dolls. He heh.

You're terrific.

This doll looks like a stick drawing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:00 pm 
i love orange

Ugh they are just asking for complaints and contreversy with a runway body barbie, portraying a shape which only avery small MINORITY of the population have.

It's funny, when I was a kid I had loadsa barbies and I doubt my mum gave the shape of barbie a second thought.

I wonder, do we worry too much now? Or are children more aware and perceptive of body shape now? Strange culture we live in!

xxx

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:38 pm 
orange wonder

Starlight_Starbright wrote:
Ugh they are just asking for complaints and contreversy with a runway body barbie, portraying a shape which only avery small MINORITY of the population have.

It's funny, when I was a kid I had loadsa barbies and I doubt my mum gave the shape of barbie a second thought.

I wonder, do we worry too much now? Or are children more aware and perceptive of body shape now? Strange culture we live in!

xxx

I don't think anyone's parents gave Barbie's shape a second thought. The measurements have been unrealistic for years and yet we've been oblivious all this time! But then again I didn't have very many Barbies. I lived in the world of porcelain dolls, stuffed animals, and dolls from the American Girl collection (which I believe set a much better example and have a more realistic body for a prepubescent girl). If I had any Barbies and they weren't just sitting gathering dust at the bottom of my toybox, they were usally making out with Ken or sporting a custom punk-rock hairdo. I had a Sailor Moon doll that was supposed to be like a Barbie doll, but the measurements are more realistic since the feet match up to scale with the height and the waists were a little larger in proportion to the hips.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:30 pm 
healthy is sexy

Alexandra wrote:

When I was little, one of my best friends had a birthday tradition. We'd select a Barbie from her little sister's collection - her sister would solemnly hand it over, half-sad, half-gleeful in anticipation. We would then cut off the Barbie's hair, contort or remove its limbs, draw on it, squish its face into a funny position and secure it with a rubber band, take off the head and stick it on a hand or foot, et cetera; then mummify it in toilet paper and either throw it out, or ceremonially bury it for a few hours before digging it up and throwing it out.

^ That sounds far less believable and much more twisted than it really was :)

Anyway, back on topic - this may be ridiculous, but at least her chest has been whittled down to a size where somebody in real life with her measurements would actually be able to WALK. ¬¬ Not that that makes it any better.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:06 am 
LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who did sadistic things to my barbies! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:23 pm 
i love orange

Wow, the new barbie really does look like a runway model!
When I was little I would trade clothes with the barbies then I would cut their hair and dye it green or some other crazy color with food coloring before I would lose intrest and play with little stuffed kitties with my brother.
:-?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:24 pm 
healthy is sexy

If they are going to make painfully thin Barbies, that they should make real painfully thin Barbies. Add bruises on her elbows & hipbones, add fine lanugo on her face, back & arms, remove the smile & make her hair dull & falling out. It's reality.
Or, keep the smile & vibrant look & add much needed width to her scary frame.

Offline Profile