Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Overweight? Smoker? Health bills hit hard
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:26 am 
the original orange

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33336289/ns ... gton_post/

New healthcare initiative in the US will tax the overweight/obese and those who smoke.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 am 
i bite back hardcore

That story is no longer available at MSNBC, but you can read it at its original publication, The Washington Post.

I blogged about this issue here. I should first point out the differences between charging people higher premiums for smoking versus being fat. Carrie at BFB summed it up well:

Quote:
I hate the idea of the smoking thing as well on the grounds that what I do in my off time shouldn't be any of my employer's business, but at least that's a behavior that can be stopped. A fat person can't just stop being fat, despite the world's erroneous belief that all you have to do is just try a little harder to eat less and exercise more and the pounds will magically melt off. No one has been able to find a method of weight loss that works permanently for more than the tiniest percentages of people, which means that fat people are likely going to stay fat no matter how many crunches they do.

I think it's grossly unfair and contradictory to enact health care reform in the name of reducing discrimination only to introduce yet another form of discrimination. Basically, this bill would force you to comply with what your employer determines to be "healthy" or risk paying up to 50% higher health care premiums. Frankly, I don't really want my employer peeking into my health records, especially when that information has no bearing on my workplace performance.

This bill unfairly punishes poor people, who tend to be disproportionately fatter, and are thus in greater need of health care reform than other groups. It also punishes minorities, who also tend to be disproportionately fatter AND poor. And lastly, this bill also unfairly punishes ALL fat people, even those like me who are incredibly healthy. I just had bloodwork done a few months ago for my non-weight-related thyroid condition and it shows that I am ridiculously healthy, healthier in fact than many "thin" people I know. I am also healthier now that I am "fat" than I ever was when I was thin and eating disordered.

All this bill does is reward thin people for the appearance of good health, regardless if appearances are deceiving or not.

www.the-F-word.org

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:33 pm 
the original orange

Here's another new policy being rolled in over in Europe that may one day be implemented over here...

http://webiteback.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=228616

I think it's similar tactics at work. I'm worried about what effects this will have on people being able to afford and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Healthcare Bill: Calorie count on burgers & vending mach
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:36 pm 
the original orange

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthru ... hines.html

There's apparently something written into the new healthcare bill in the USA mandating caloric labelling for everything, very prominently, so people are always faced with the number for what they are consuming...?

Is this another move towards a calorie-based economy??

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:50 pm 
stranger in an orange land

Our health care over here is a step further than what the US is considering, from what I understand. We have public hospitals and a s long as you're a legal resident, you go when you need to go. There are waiting lists for elective surgeries, sure but if it's serious, you're in pretty much in. You just pay 1% of your income in tax to Medicare or 2% if you earn over $40k. It's a cup of coffee a week. If you want to go private, you can pay for insurance as well.

In addition to this, instead of upping the medicare levy what the Govt tend to do is tax and label products. The cost of a packet of cigarettes is 95% Govt. tax which in turn funds your inevitable health care. Some foods are labelled with the Heart foundation 'tick'. I think it's fair enough *shrugs* it leaves the choice in there in what you consume but allows everyone basic healthcare access without a for - profit insurance company deciding whether or not you can go to the hospital.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:31 pm 
i love orange

Rachelr wrote:
That story is no longer available at MSNBC, but you can read it at its original publication, The Washington Post.

I blogged about this issue here. I should first point out the differences between charging people higher premiums for smoking versus being fat. Carrie at BFB summed it up well:

Quote:
I hate the idea of the smoking thing as well on the grounds that what I do in my off time shouldn't be any of my employer's business, but at least that's a behavior that can be stopped. A fat person can't just stop being fat, despite the world's erroneous belief that all you have to do is just try a little harder to eat less and exercise more and the pounds will magically melt off. No one has been able to find a method of weight loss that works permanently for more than the tiniest percentages of people, which means that fat people are likely going to stay fat no matter how many crunches they do.

I think it's grossly unfair and contradictory to enact health care reform in the name of reducing discrimination only to introduce yet another form of discrimination. Basically, this bill would force you to comply with what your employer determines to be "healthy" or risk paying up to 50% higher health care premiums. Frankly, I don't really want my employer peeking into my health records, especially when that information has no bearing on my workplace performance.

This bill unfairly punishes poor people, who tend to be disproportionately fatter, and are thus in greater need of health care reform than other groups. It also punishes minorities, who also tend to be disproportionately fatter AND poor. And lastly, this bill also unfairly punishes ALL fat people, even those like me who are incredibly healthy. I just had bloodwork done a few months ago for my non-weight-related thyroid condition and it shows that I am ridiculously healthy, healthier in fact than many "thin" people I know. I am also healthier now that I am "fat" than I ever was when I was thin and eating disordered.

All this bill does is reward thin people for the appearance of good health, regardless if appearances are deceiving or not.

Exactly!!! I so agree about this bill rewarding the appearance of good health. It feeds into the "you can never be too thin" mentality. The standards we have to live up to are getting worse and worse. If overweight people are going to be taxed and penalized, why doesnt the same hold true for those underweight? Hmmm...

Offline Profile