Last visit was: It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ralph Lauren caught doctoring images to make models too thin
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:49 pm 
the original orange

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2009/10/b ... del_ad.php

Last edited by epic on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:12 pm 
power lies within

Holy shit! that's among the worst i've seen. it's like a joke! this is to sell clothes?!
nothin' sells like low self-esteem.

And apparently Ralph Lauren's first response to BoingBoing for posting it was not any action but to say that it was some kind of "copyright" infringement to post it...for criticism and commentary! not copyright infringement at all...

there's a worthwhile clip on the subject by Rachel Maddow. It can be found about halfway down the page at www.boingboing.net. (i haven't watched the whole thing.)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:27 am 
orange wonder

That's terrible, but...

"Dude, her head's bigger than her pelvis."

LMAO.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:06 am 
exploring my potential!

The thing about this one is that it's clear she is photoshopped, so in a way it helps to expose these brands for what they do. They "edit" womens bodies and create an unachievable and unchealthy role model. I read somewhere that models are famous because they are freaks of nature, which in my opinion, isn't too far from the truth. People are fascinated by them because they have unusual bodies. That is why it is so disturbing that they have become immortalised like ideal bodies. They are not normal bodies.

It's funny the outrage this will cause, because so many labels and adverts retouch images of women, but they get away with it because it's less subtle. I think it should be illegal to retouch pictures, to be honest. It is not healthy for anyone to look at pictures like this and think they are fashionable, but at the same time, it is not normal to look at pictures of people with perfect skin and breasts when in reality most people don't.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:35 pm 
healthy is sexy

I've always heard various crap like this about Calvin Klein.
The idea that they thought no one would notice this shows how dumb & ignorant these people are.

I mean it's not even subtle! :shock:

I think I am going to give away my old pair of Calvin Klein shorts, this is ridiculous.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:51 pm 
orange is a state of mind

forgive me for being utterly thick here...but I don't see Calvin Klein mentioned once there...I even did a page search and no calvin klein...

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me,
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:45 pm 
orange you prolific

I read about this in the newspaper and few days ago.
It's disgraceful!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:37 pm 
orange is a state of mind

Apparently she's been sacked...for being too fat

See here

Warning- the photoshopped image appears in this.

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me,
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 am 
the original orange

Here's another article on above:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... d-fat.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:00 pm 
the original orange

http://industry.bnet.com/advertising/10 ... s-emerges/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:03 pm 
the original orange

French "fashion police" response to this sort of thing:

http://industry.bnet.com/advertising/10 ... -perfector

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:16 pm 
power lies within

"Notice the absence of subjects in that sentence: "it" creates a cycle. (A cycle! Those can be really hard to stop.) "It" relates to Kate Moss, or at least her "era." "The clothes" got smaller. (All by themselves?) The underweight ideal body that the fashion industry promulgates to women all around the world — and the underweight bodies that real fashion models are required to maintain, and which some cannot but maintain through unhealthy means — are problems that everyone is prepared to "acknowledge" in the fashion industry. People write letters about it. They institute meaningless, unenforced laws. What nobody has yet done is actually make a serious, thoughtful attempt to confront these problems of the industry's function — and this is an industry which is structured to punish the sufferer of an eating disorder who decides to enter treatment — and to solve them."

This is fucking amazing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:10 pm 
the original orange

wickedrache wrote:
"Notice the absence of subjects in that sentence: "it" creates a cycle. (A cycle! Those can be really hard to stop.) "It" relates to Kate Moss, or at least her "era."

Conspiracy theory of the day:
Trying to get the younger folks to tighten their belts, perhaps? To somehow glamorize malnutrition so that large percentages of the population would embrace it voluntarily? Stretch the national food dollar by inducing a self-starve response in large percentages of the population, even as prices are rising in grocery stores, each somehow masking the other...?

I strongly suspect there will one day be a push towards a calorie-based economy. Have I ever gone on that rant...?

I feel like there's a "secrets revealed" meme playing out in this whole thing with Ralph Lauren. Maybe it goes deeper than just a "mistake" in having a "normal" sized model, or a "mistake" in having a graphic designer who does a bad photoshop job (twice). Maybe these "mistakes" fit into a larger overall business plan. Perhaps they reveal too much of themselves and their intentions. Perhaps this reveals something very sinister about the fashion industry as a whole (and not just Ralph Lauren) being ripped out into the open. I believe we need far better quality of life standards encouraged within every member of our population. Give everyone an acre of land and let them grow their own food. Let us all figure out how the heck that's going to work. If we each had some land and could be learning how to re-connect to food PRODUCTION and not just food CONSUMPTION, wouldn't this... help the whole food crisis?

Photoshopping models creates a subliminal want within the viewer to achieve something that is physically impossible. If you just glanced at this image, you would internalize it without knowing your brain had accepted something as real without knowing it was faked.

Quote:
This is fucking amazing.

Secrets revealed!!

And also not to mention the way that copyright and threats of lawsuits were used to try and scare/silence those who blew the whistle on these fake thinspo images generated by Ralph Lauren.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:06 am 
power lies within

the threat of copyright infringement is indeed ridiculous.

what i find very striking about a lot of the coverage here is that the general media, like non-feminist, seems to be focusing on the "irresponsibility" of the bad "graphics" and the "mistake" as Ralph Lauren is terming it. BoingBoing in its initial expose discussed the idiocy of the photo editor. It's like the big lie - nobody can fathom what is really going on here, that Ralph Lauren would intentionally create absurdly emaciated images, and why. so it must be all just a big mistake. somebody's mouse got a life of its own while they were Photoshopping.

to be honest, Sharon, i'm more inclined to believe more tightly-knit conspiracies. it doesn't have to get complicated (ie. to involve a food shortage that i doubt Ralph Lauren would begin to factor in) to theorise that fashion designers are trying to promote emaciation to make every average person feel miserable about themselves and be willing to spend huge amounts of money to try to attain a look/status that, because they will never attain it, makes them continue to pour money into a bottomless industry. as i said above, nothing sells like low self-esteem. if the ideal were a curvy figure the marketplace would be screwed because far too many people would be satisfied with themselves and they wouldn't feel compelled to spend their money and attention trying to attain the unattainable.
i'm struck by the hypnotic aspect of big corporate advertising. they are harnessing the anthropologically evidenced attraction to shiny things, to perfection. humans have this black and white idea that makes a lot of sense when you think of evolution. good and bad, black and white. to try and make the masses group themselves into "bad" and start clawing and spending to get into the "good", corporations dangle that carrot further and further into the "tiny, white" region of the spectrum so that people are glazed over looking at glossy magazines and photo after retouched photo of some nonexistent phantasy creature on the internet. they get our money while we're in that dazed state. i think the capitalist market has a lot to gain from a hungry population, both literally and figuratively....and a lot to lose if people start to be satisfied with the mundane and superficial aspect of their lives and dissatisfied with the system itself and their personal levels of intellect.

educate the masses, i say.

http://boingboing.net/2009/10/06/the-cr ... eviouspost

Last edited by wickedrache on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:14 am 
power lies within

i like that our comrade in France, Valerie Boyer, is using this to advance her cause to get warning labels on retouched images! damn i would love that...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next