Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 pm 
orange wonder

Mr. Grave wrote:
Poppet wrote:
My best friend recently got a tattoo of "quod me nutrit me destruit" on her back...should I tell her that it's a pro-ana slogan? :-?

As for the pro-ED shirts and the like, everything in this culture seems to be pro-ED, or pro-negative body image or something. It's sad and worrisome for people to be influenced and encouraged like they are to be 'thin'. These shirts, sadly, represent that very well.

I second that emotion.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:48 am 
stranger in an orange land

i really do like most of the recovery shirts, but i don't think the "feed lindsay" is fair. i mean, it's preying on some girl who obviously has problems. it just seems really rude to me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:22 am 
orange is a state of mind

^I couldn't help but think "Who the hell is Lindsay??" when looking through them. Winced at the "Lindsay is still too fat" one.

They're not all bad, some of them are pretty positive, and some of the others are just jokey things. People joke about most illnesses, it's just the way it goes.

I HAVE to buy the one with "Bad habit" printed on it! That so appeals to my sense of humour lol. :-)

Can't imagine getting those phrases as a tattoo...I have one small one but it's a dark red kanji symbol that stands for what I term the 3 H's- health, hope and happiness. A little permanent reminder. Going to get it redone larger when I succeed. I like my tattoo. I would be kicking myself damn hard if I'd gotten something like Poppet's friend...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:11 am 
orange like clockwork

Poppet wrote:
My best friend recently got a tattoo of "quod me nutrit me destruit" on her back...should I tell her that it's a pro-ana slogan? :-?
I think the phrase has been around for ages and holds meaning in a whole lot of different ways. Does anyone know whether 'nutrit' directly translates to 'nourishes' or could it have a more generic meaning like we use 'feeds' as in, not necessarily relating to food, but to a behaviour or a substance or something?
I don't know if that makes sense. But if your friend has the tattoo in relation to something other than pro ana, it'd be worth letting her know that it's seen in that way by a lot of people, and to not be freaked out by anyone who might see it and strike up an awkward conversation about it...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2