Last visit was: It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What our members say...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:45 am 
admin team

Why YOU should join WeBiteBack, in our members' voices:

Quote:
Because we're fucking awesome here. Supportive of people and not ed. Accepting of everyone. There are members from all over the world- which is cool to learn about other cultures and also helps for support knowing people are on the forums all hours of the day.

Quote:
WBB supports, challenges and encourages you along your journey through recovery. This doesn't stop at solely helping you overcome your eating disorder and disordered behaviours it is also about nurturing you as you discover the real you. The amazing you that is underneath the eating disorder. That is waiting to shine brightly. We embrace life.

Quote:
Because you will meet people on the same journey as you - different paths, maybe - but heading the same way. You will be welcomed, cared for, supported and given ideas and challenges to think about as you pursue a life worth living.

Quote:
We know what it's like to live with an eating disorder. We know that recovery isn't a straight line, that you will struggle and that it's hard to even choose recovery in the first place. You don't have to be perfect here. You just have to be willing.

We're also hilarious and terribly attractive, but that's beside the point ;)

Register for WeBiteBack here

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What our members say...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 am 
admin team

Quote:
At WBB you will find a variety of people struggling with and trying to recover from eating disorders as well as other coexisting disorders or issues. Not every member has the same story to tell, the same history, or the same issues.

Quote:
This is a place where competing for "who is sickest" is not welcome which helps keep the community focused on the recovery and moving forward with treatment of issues.

Quote:
The members here are free to use their voices on a variety of subjects as well as have a journal in which other members can read and respond.

Quote:
This site encourages challenging of disordered thoughts and actions in a positive way. The site brings insight through other members and through resources that can be connected to through the site.

Quote:
WBB offers a chance to show your personality, not just your illness. The site encourages you to look beyond your eating disorder and to find out more about you the person, not you the person with an eating disorder.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:02 am 
admin team

Quote:
This site offers strength and support in our recovery when you might feel like you cannot find it elsewhere.

Quote:
This site has topics and discussions that do not revolve around your eating disorder or another issue, so that you can realize that your live does not consist of only that.

Quote:
WBB provides resources for many things including self-harm, suicide, depression, DBT, anxiety, as well as eating disorders.

Quote:
WBB is open to the voices of its members and values each members opinions and contributions to the site. You can be heard here.

Quote:
Because we are more than eating disorders: we are people with lives, friends and family, things to do, cats (ok, some of us swing both ways), we post lots of things beyond eating disorders that make us laugh, think, marvel and sometimes even bicker - in the nicest possible way, of course - with each other. We are humans, not eating disorders. Find your human and let it free.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:24 pm 
admin team

Quote:
Joining WBB is a step to making yourself accountable and actively recovering from your eating disorder, amongst people who really do understand and are fighting alongside. Somewhere you feel safe enough to talk about any strugges you are facing at all, a place where you are not judged! WBB reminds you every single day that recovery is possible and you can become better - and be happy again!

Quote:
By joining WBB, you will meet like-minded people who are ready to take your hand, pick you up or push you in the right direction. WBB is a place to re-discover together what life really means without an ED; a place to help learn skills to battle on-going fights with an ED and to receive support anytime- there is always someone around!

Quote:
WBB is a continual support team that don't need numbers to know you, validate you, care for you, support you, encourage you, laugh with you, or to embrace all that is you.

Quote:
WBB offers me the right mix of fun, support, and thought-provoking challenges and threads that help me see the world without my eating disorder lens. I also love that WBB celebrates every person and every body: there is no "right" shape - there is only you and what your body needs to be healthy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:59 am 
admin team

Attachment:
Body hate free zone.jpg
Body hate free zone.jpg [ 53.41 KiB | Viewed 17790 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 pm 
admin team

Quote:
WeBiteBack is full of the most inspiring and brave people from all over the world: people committed to their recoveries and doing what they need to do - everyone at their own speed, and everyone in their own way, and everyone supporting and caring for each other.

Quote:
WBB does not replace a treatment team of professionals however what WBB is able to do is offer compassion, encouragement and hope at any hour of the day and at any frequency in which I need this support. I am lucky to have a treatment team who support me but realistically they cannot hold my hand or respond every moment in which I need reassurance. This is no fault on their part. WBB can. No matter the hour of the day or the amount of times I log on in any given day - that lifeline is always there. No matter if I have no words. I know I will find a thread, a member, a space or even just a joke in the non-ed specific areas of the board that will bring me comfort. Recovery is not a straight line of success and I am grateful to have found a place to hold my hand whenever I need it. Even if today is a day I need hour by hour support. I can contact my treatment team but I don't need to wait in pain feeling alone for their response. I can come here and that is why I see WBB as a lifeline.

Quote:
One word: COMMUNITY.

Eating disorders thrive in secrecy, in isolation. We support people- not the eating disorder- in a collective community of support, care, compassion, challenging ed thoughts, and awesomeness.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:49 pm 
admin team

Quote:
So an eating disorder walks into a bar
ED sits down miserably and orders the lowest calorie drink
Pulls out a smoke and the bar tender, as usual, throws his towel over his shoulder
Pulls out the lighter, "need a light?"
ED all miserable, "yeah mate I do"
Bartender "rough day? Tell me about it"
"She joined that bloody WBB site. I feel redundant"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm 
admin team

Quote:
I'm pretty sure, nope, certain that if I had not joined WBB when I did I would not be writing this little blurb about why YOU should join. It's been THAT important to me. I am fortunate enough to live in a metropolitan area that has eating disorder treatment available, and I'm grateful for that. Whether or not I am able to always access it is another question. But, I can come here any time of the day or night and either be able to read something someone has posted, post something myself, or look around the forums and find everything from someone else's latest post to something as mundane and funny as a picture. I cannot begin to tell you all I have learned about life in other countries. And along with that, learned that the struggle against this awful disease - no matter what form it has taken- doesn't change from culture to culture.Whether it's tears or laughter, a word of encouragement or a kick in the behind, this has been a constant, forward looking place for me to be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:50 pm 
admin team

Quote:
WeBiteBack offers an alternative to pro-ana/mia sites, but with the same 24/7 empathy and understanding, except with a pro-recovery approach to challenging your eating disorder and supporting your recovery with information, exercises and skills. If you go to pro-ana sites primarily for the company of others who understand but you want to stop the madness, WeBiteBack offers that alternative.

Quote:
A covert investigation of pro-ana sites, published in Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention in 2007, found that what attracts users is the sympathy on offer, rather than more sensational aspects such as purging tips and drastic weight-loss goals.

"Much pro-ana discussion content is mundane, suggesting its primary function is social rather than informational," researchers Sarah Brotsky and David Giles write. They also found participants overwhelmingly supported the covert identity's declared intention to seek treatment as she exited each online community.

(I'm not citing the source because of other information in it.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:13 am 
admin team

Quote:
Not only have I received support throughout my struggles with recovery, I've been encouraged to develop who I am outside the disorder. We Bite Back has helped me become me again.

Quote:
We Bite Back; recovery and community all in one.

Realising your potential for freedom
Engaging with others who are willing to support and encourage,
Challenging yourself in a supportive environment where support is available 24/7 no matter where you live.
Obtaining new skills, new understanding and new wisdom to use in biting back and freeing yourself from ED.
Validating your own success and learning to take credit in your achievements without the ED undermining you.
Experiencing a community that's only motive is health, happiness and freedom, not fear and self loathing.
Rebelling against your ED with a cheer squad ready to have your back whenever you feel lost, unsure or afraid.
You are deserving of validation, understanding, compassion, friendship, support, laughter...and this site offers all of that and more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:54 pm 
admin team

Quote:
To put simply; this is a safe place. For someone who has never felt safe and never had the opportunity to or even believed in safe places I can honestly say that this site is if you let it, if you give it time. It is a place to feel safe. From not just the ed but the underlying issues or reasons that may have lead you to feel the world is hard, lonely, isolating or just too much to bare. It took time but WBB is more than typed words on a screen, it has heart, it has possibilities of hope and again, the chance to feel safe to be you and the honest you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:52 am 
admin team

Quote:
Attachment:
Love people.jpg
Love people.jpg [ 60.25 KiB | Viewed 17591 times ]

And this is what we do: offer non-judgmental acceptance of you and your struggles while challenging your eating disorder and supporting you to save yourself.

Offline Profile