Last visit was: It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Behavioural Activation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:59 am 
post-mod squad

I'm not the biggest fan of CBT for myself ("good for you, bad for me"!), but behavioural activation has been really helpful for my depression recently, so I thought I'd make a post about it.

Explanation from here (emphasis that follows is mine):

Quote:
Whereas some treatments characterize depression as a medical illness, Behavioral Activation was born out of a psychological tradition that views depression as a set of learned behaviors – such as avoidance, withdrawal, and rumination – which can be “un-learned.” It offers hope that clients can learn new ways of living more rewarding lives.

The basic premise of Behavioral Activation is that increased engagement in meaningful activity will decrease depression. In contrast, the avoidance of unpleasant feelings and thoughts can backfire and lead to greater suffering. For example, a person may avoid the stress of the upcoming day by sleeping in late, but this strategy may leave the person with fewer chances for rewarding experiences; having fewer positive experiences can cause more unpleasant thoughts and feelings, leading to more avoidance, and ultimately more suffering. The solution to this depression feedback-loop is to learn how to become more active and engaged with meaningful activities (hence the name Behavioral Activation), even while feeling unhappy, anxious, unmotivated, or irritated.

There are varying degrees of engagement with this, but the best thing about it is that you can do it totally on your own without any input from a therapist, and it's free (I know that may be a barrier to treatment for some, so this is definitely something you can do on your own). I've been using these two worksheets: Task Planning and Achievement Record and Daily Activity Diary. The first of these is my favourite - I am a really organized person who adores "to do lists" and feels really accomplished when I get to check things off, so it works super well for me. More worksheets here

Examples of things in my task planning record: Journal, Read for 30 minutes, Homework, Chores, Did Something Fun, Got Up on Time (this one is my favourite because I get to check something off as soon as I wake up! it makes me motivated to do more things on my list).

Try it out!

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Behavioural Activation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:55 pm 
Demi Mod

Thanks for sharing, I think I'll try this. It looks like a good website too.

Offline Profile