Last visit was: It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chain Analysis
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:02 pm 
admin goddess from hell

A chain analysis is a really good way of looking at how and why you ended up engaging in problematic behaviours. It may seem at first that certain events or conversations are unrelated to the chain, but when you practice the skill and really just go through everything that preceded a behaviour, you often find that many of those unrelated occurrences were a chink in the chain. So write big, put in as much as you can remember about everything leading up to it, even if some things occurred in the days preceding the behaviour (I often find that I may be able to manage any single event, but when they pile up I can become overwhelmed).

The chain allows you to identify those occurrences, and helps you look at ways of recognising them more quickly and reconciling them before they build up and result in a damaging behaviour. This works for any maladaptive skill: restricting, bingeing, purging, over-exercise, self-harm, and all the rest. The more you actually devote to completing chain analyses every time you engage in a behaviour, the better you get at spotting the trouble heading over the horizon before you're knee-deep in it.

So, here it is:

Quote:
1. Describe the specific PROBLEM BEHAVIOR (purging, bingeing, cutting, weighing, etc.)

Identify exactly what you did, said, thought or felt (if feelings are the targeted problem behavior).

2. Describe the specific PROMPTING EVENT that started the whole chain of
behavior.

What exact event precipitated the start of the chain reaction?

What was going on the moment the problem started?

What were you doing, thinking, feeling, imagining at that time?

Why did the problem behavior happen on that days instead of the day before?

3. Describe in general VULNERABILITY FACTORS happening before the prompting event. What factors or events made you more vulnerable to a problematic chain?

For example, physical illness; unbalanced eating or sleeping; injury, use of drugs or alcohol; misuse of prescription drugs, stressful events in the environment (either positive or negative); intense emotions, such as sadness, anger, fear, loneliness.

4. Describe in excruciating detail THE CHAIN OF EVENTS that led up to the problem behavior.

What exact thought(s) (or belief(s)), feeling(s), or action(s) led up to the prompting event? What thought, feeling, or action followed that? What next? You may end up going back a few days to put this part together.

Look at each link in the chain. Was there another thought feeling, or action that could have occurred? Could someone else have thought, felt, or acted differently at that point? If so, explain how that specific thought, feeling, or action came to be.

The links can be thoughts, emotions, sensations and behaviors.

5. What are the CONSEQUENCES of this behavior? Be specific.

How did you feel immediately following the behavior? Later? What effect did the behavior have on you and your environment?

6. Describe in detail the PREVENTION STRATEGY for how you could have kept the chain from starting by reducing your vulnerability to the chain.

Go back to the chain of your behaviors following the prompting event. Circle each point or link indicating that if you had done something different, you would have avoided the problem behavior.

What could you have done differently at each link in the chain of events to avoid the problem behavior?

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Chain Analysis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:48 pm 
post-mod squad

This is great, thanks Sally - I'm printing this out for my file and think it's gonna be so useful for me! :x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:56 am 
admin goddess from hell

I have also used it when experiencing overwhelming urges to engage in a maladaptive behaviour, and by the time I have finished I have found other ways of understanding and managing the urges and have avoided them altogther.

And like any skill, it improves with practice, especially when you are not in the thick of a crisis, so do try it out when your agitation levels are low, but still active instead of just leaving it until you are in full-blown "doitnow-doitnow!" mode.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:19 am 
orange you glad?

Oh I must, must give this a go! Thanks Sally!!

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.
He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the LORD was my support.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:18 am 
orange goddess

I did this in therapy it actually really helped me break things down it also works great for trauma survivors with eating disorders.

Offline Profile