Last visit was: It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Urge Analyzer
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:40 am 
orange is a state of mind

I saw this post post from Sally , and it seemed like something that we could really apply to self-harm.

Urge Analyzer

When you feel the urge to self-harm come on, it's time to start searching for those answers!

Step 1

As soon as you recognize an SI urge immediately say STOP! loudly in your mind, then take in a large deep breath of fresh air and let it out slowly.

Step 2

Ask yourself: Have I been taking care of myself lately? Have I been using poor coping mechanisms? Am I under a lot of stress?

If the answer is no then continue on with the search. If the answer is yes then this may be the reason you feel the need to self-harm. It is useful to learn to address your physical needs before you address your emotional triggers by implementing a structured self-care plan into your recovery.

Step 3

Go through these questions one by one, answering them as honestly and in as much detail as you possibly can:

1. What do I really honestly want from self-harming?

2. What has happened recently to bring such feelings on?

3. Have I been in this situation before and how did I previously deal with it? Did I deal with it effectively?

4. If I could imagine the perfect solution to this problem what would it be? What would it look like? What would it feel like?

5. What have I done to ease this discomfort so far?

6. What else can I do? (try to list as many answers as possible)

7. If I choose to SI how will I feel when I am doing so?

8. If I choose to SI how will I feel afterwards?

9. Can I avoid this trigger, or deal with it better in the future?

10. Do I really need to hurt myself?

Tips & Advice

* Think about each question for a minute and really try to understand the true answer. This will be difficult at the start because you will want to bury those difficult feelings and emotions, but really try to persevere with it!

* There is no such thing as good or bad feelings, we are humans and we all feel a wide range of complex emotions, some difficult, some not. If you experience any difficult feelings during in this exercise, remember it's just a feeling.

* You may feel frustration when trying to do this exercise and may be attempted to abandon it. Again this is another method of avoiding uncomfortable feelings, please do try to stick with it.

* All the questions are important, so try not to skip any.

* In the beginning you may find yourself giving simplistic answers but over time, as you start to gain more insight into your motivations and triggers, your answers will become more detailed and telling.

* The physical act of performing this exercise can often give you enough time to distance yourself from those overwhelming urges.

* If you have successfully avoided self-harming, don't forget to acknowledge your achievement and congratulate yourself!

* Understand that it’s okay if this exercise alone doesn’t help you to avoid self-harm. Learn to realize that the process of uncovering your "SI-triggers” is still extremely valuable progress on the road to recovery.

Adapted from Binge Analyzer

I'm totally printing this out because I'm the kind of girl who puts sticker charts on her walls to get stuff done. Something that works well for emergency interventions like these is to jot it down (perhaps just Step 3 though) on an index card and tuck it in your purse or wallet. The other side could even have prompts like "name five things you hear right now, in this moment" to help you ground yourself.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Urge Analyzer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:03 am 
orange goddess

I like this it's similiar to something Safe Focus group for SI used. It's great resource. I hope people will utilize it.

Offline Profile