Last visit was: It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: DBT Online Classes
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:00 am 
galactic orange

Yahoo has a group that does DBT online classes. (dbtclass) It is a class primarily for individuals with Borderline Personality Disorder but it covers all the skills which are the same regardless of your diagnosis so if you are interested it would give a good base in the skills. Below is a description:
Quote:

Welcome to the DBT Online Skills Class Group

In This DBT Online Skills Class List/Group Guideline file you will find:

About This List/Group
This is a peer-led online DBT Skills Class. List posts are to be kept to this focus only.

This list permits the subscribing of professionals who want to gain more insight, or establish whether or not this group/list may be an appropriate adjunct to therapy for their clients. They are not subscribed to this list to participate or to in any way deliver therapy.

This list is moderated so your posts will be subject to the approval of the list moderators. The reason that this list is set up this way is to ensure that its focus on DBT, its purpose as a DBT class and its structure is not compromised by off-topic posts, social posts, or posts that are not a part of the list's focus.

Expectations of Your Membership In this Group

1. That you suspect you have Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) or that you have been diagnosed with BPD or some other emotionally dysregulating diagnosis.

2. You will be expected to participate to some degree. If you aren’t willing to commit to doing the homework sheets and posting at least once per homework assignment it may be that you aren’t ready to actually be a part of this DBT online class. So, please keep in mind that in order for you to get the most out of this, you need to participate, either on the list or with your therapist.

3. If you are a professional who is wanting to evaluate this
list in consideration of recommending it to your clients you are, of course, exempt from all participation here.

Structure: How This DBT Online Class Group/List Works
What follows is a description/explanation of how this DBT Lessons on this list are intended to work.

We will work on, practice, and educate about one module at a time. Within each module there are individual skills and aspects of each skill that we will concentrate on individually.

Each week (on Saturday) we will present a lesson that will include with it a homework assignment and/or a task to be undertaken in your own life and to post to the list outlining your experience with the homework/task.

We will explore the skills throughout the week via homework discussions, to practice the skills you are learning. Your participation is required.

The commitment that this group needs from you is really also a commitment that you need to make for yourself and your own recovery. It is a commitment of participation.

It takes action to create growth, change, and recovery. No one can truly learn and incorporate the DBT skills into his/her everyday life without the action of skills practice and list participation. Just as one has to do his/her homework in therapy, doing the homework sent out to this list is also required.

If you think of this list as a class and compare it to a class you’d take in school, you know what happens in a class at school that you don’t do your homework in – you don’t get the successful result that you want and need. Your participation on this list and your doing the homework and practicing the skills in your life will yield you the successful results, over time, (along with therapy) that you so desire and need in your emotional life.

Participants need to be committed to learning DBT skills.

Participants need to complete homework in the allotted time and post something about their homework and skills practice to the list or for discussion with their therapist.

General Goals of Skills Training

“To learn and use skills in changing behavioral, emotional, and thinking patterns associated with problems in living, that is, those causing misery and distress.

Specific Goals

Behaviors to Decrease
1.Interpersonal Chaos
2.Extreme emotions, moods
3.Impulsiveness
4.Confusion about self, out of balance thoughts, not controlling your mind

Behaviors to Increase

1.Interpersonal effectiveness skills
2.Emotion regulation skills
3.Distress tolerance skills
4.Core mindfulness skills

dbtclass

“When you have come to the edge Of all light that you know And are about to drop off into the darkness Of the unknown, Faith is knowing One of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or You will be taught to fly”

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: DBT Online Classes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:37 pm 
post-mod squad

This looks great thanks for posting it here xx

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:50 pm 
orange you prolific

This sounds cool and I'm glad it's not for BPD only!

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 pm 
orange you prolific

Do you know anything about the people who run it? As in, are they professionals or just really knowledgable?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:08 pm 
galactic orange

It is peer run by people who have a lot of knowledge.

“When you have come to the edge Of all light that you know And are about to drop off into the darkness Of the unknown, Faith is knowing One of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or You will be taught to fly”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 pm 
orange you prolific

Thank you!

Have you done it? If so, was it helpful?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:05 am 
galactic orange

Sorry for the delay in replying. I haven't done it but I looked at the postings. It is comething that you probably get more if you give more type of things. It is nice because they give homework assignments and then you share what you have done, etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:32 am 
orange you prolific

Just want to give this a little bump; I got my confirmation just now to participate in the DBT online class.

kkat wrote:
Yahoo has a group that does DBT online classes. (dbtclass) It is a class primarily for individuals with Borderline Personality Disorder but it covers all the skills which are the same regardless of your diagnosis so if you are interested it would give a good base in the skills. Below is a description:

I do not have Boarderline Personality Disorder, but I am in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 am 
orange you glad?

Awesome! Hope it goes well and you get what you want out of it!! :)

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.
He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the LORD was my support.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:30 am 
orange you prolific

Thanks, chica. It'll be interesting to see how I do with more daily readings :razz:

It's been so nice having you post on the board recently!!!

Offline Profile